Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Write a Will!!

If you have a kid -- you need to write a will.

The chances that something will happen to you are tiny, small, remote. But the consequences for your child are ENORMOUS if you do not have a will. Yes, you're young and you don't think about these things (or you don't like to...) but wouldn't you rather decide who would be your child's guardian rather than leave it to the state?

The Baboo is 8 months old and we're finally getting around to this really important matter. I bought Quicken's "Willmaker" software from nolo.com and it took less than 20 minutes to go through the prompts. So now I have an unsigned will saved as a word document. Thanks to the software, it's valid under Texas law, and now I just have to figure out how to Islamicize it. In the meantime, though, I am going to print it out and sign it. Better to have an imperfect will than no will at all.

When I figure out how to Islamicize it, I'll update this post and let you know what we decided to do.

No comments: