Friday, January 9, 2009

Why is my 2 year old winning the battle of wills?

I have more discipline than him. I have more logic in my head than he does. I have more foresight to think about the consequences of giving in to his short-term needs. I am older, smarter, wiser, bigger, and more resourceful. I know what's better for him.

So why is he winning the battle of wills?

And maybe that phrase is throwing me off. He teacher said he's just being "willful" - which is the essence of being 2. He realizes he can choose and he wants to do what he wants to do, not because he really wants to do it, but just to see if he can. Do you want to go to the potty? No. And then - 20 seconds later - pee. Everywhere.

But is just wanting to test his limits? Or is he operating on pure instinct/desire: GIVE ME THAT. PICK ME UP. DON'T GO. I WANT BOTTLE. He commands and we obey. What the hell is going on here?

He's not smarter than me, is he? Because he sure gets his way alot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Um, I'm not exactly sure if you mean it as an actual question or a rhetorical one, but if you really are asking the internet, how's this idea:

Instead of asking him if he wants to go to the potty, an assertive, "It's time to go to the potty" and then leading him there might work better.

Just a thought.