Friday, September 12, 2008

Falling Behind

Okay so I keep up with the news, with parenting trends, with my friends (sometimes), with local stuff in town (though I can never attend), but I cannot keep up with technology.

Itunes is not my friend. I've had a shuffle now for almost a month with nothing on it. I've killed my laptop battery. I do not safely eject flash drives, I just yank them out. We can't figure out how to disconnect the alarm in the new house, so it beeps randomly at midnight, 6 am, and we have to get up and turn manually stop it.

My uncle (almost 70) asked me the other day what I thought of the new Microsoft OS. I had no response. So, I'd heard of it (because like I said, I keep up with business news) but never seen it. Now he thinks I'm a Luddite too! I've bought several domain names but couldn't figure out how to develop them, much less host them, much less do anything else with them. This blog is all I have *sniff*

Case in point: I was out of the office for a while, and my secretary forwarded my phone to my cell, which I had forgotten to do. I stopped into the Austin office of my firm, and called into check my voice mail. As I am doing this, my cell phone rings and it's an unidentified Austin number. I can't handle two phones at once, so after a moment of deliberation, I hung up on my voicemail. Apparently I didn't move fast enough, and I missed the call on my cell. So I called the number back and, at the same time, my office phone started ringing. Argh.

I picked up the office phone while my cell phone was still connecting to the unidentified number, and guess what? I was talking to myself. I hadn't called my voicemail box, I had called my office phone, which routed to my cell phone. I had hung up on myself and called myself back. Confused? So was I.

No comments: